Master Joe Schaefer brings more "to the table" than just about any other martial arts teacher you will ever encounter. He has over 33 years training in Kung Fu and Tai Chi. He has been teaching the art since 1987, but he is also Dr. Schaefer and earned a Doctorate from the the University of Texas at Austin in 1997 in the field of Neurophysiology. In addition, he is successful entrepreneur and is a certified trainer in the neurofeedback-based training of Open Focus. He brings this diverse background in every class he teaches.
Picture To Left: Master Joe is in Zilker Park practicing the form "flying tiger comes out of the cave".
You Can Bury Yourself In Comfort But Only Constant Challenge Leads To Growth And Transformation. My Lifelong Mission Is To Teach, Empower, Inspire And Connect With Those Around Me.
~Master Joe Schaefer
Building A Special Community Austin Since 1991
Some of Master Schaefer's Many Accomplishments
- He is one of only 13 regional Vice-Presidents of international Shaolin-Do Association (SDA).
- He trained directly under Grandmaster Sin Kwang Thé from 1987-1994.
- While he still trains under Grandmaster Sin 2 weeks a year, he has been a private student of Elder Master William Leonard since 1994.
- He won first place and Grand Championship trophies in several national level full contact, point sparring and forms competitions.In 2003 he took 2nd place in the Master Sparring Division against 5th-8th degree black belts.
- Has performed twice at the Shaolin Temple in Henan province and once in Chen Tai Chi village, where he fought a challenge match with a 3 times Chinese National Push Hands Champion, and nephew of the head coach.
- He teaches over 200 traditional Kung Fu and Tai Chi forms to his students (including at least 20 different weapons)
- He was on the teaching faculty of the Academy of Oriental Medicine as the Chi Kung and Tai Chi instructor.